Trademarks and Intellectual Property
Intellectual Property assets are vital for any business and, like other assets, these resources need to be effectively protected and efficiently managed. As such, the foremost objective of Friedman Schuman’s Trademarks and Intellectual Property practice is to help clients maximize and safeguard the value of their brand and intellectual property portfolios.
Led by Gary Tannenbaum, who has over 15 years experience as an intellectual property and business lawyer, Friedman Schuman attorneys advise a broad array of individuals, businesses, professionals, and large public corporations on matters ranging from brand clearance and marketing strategy to copyright registrations and licensing agreements.
The major areas of our practice include:
Trademarks & Copyrights
- Trademarks - Trademark registration and maintenance is a key element of our intellectual property practice. As part and parcel of our work, we look to successfully maximize our clients’ current trademark portfolios and guide the selection and registration of new marks for products and services. We also conduct brand research and name clearance work.
- Copyrights - Copyright protection can be obtained for a broad range of creative or intellectual works, from books to software to product catalogs. Our practice includes counseling clients on the full range of protection they can seek for their works—from the registration process—to the licensing, policing, and enforcement of their copyrights.
- Licensing - Licensing intellectual property can be a major source of revenue for technology companies and other businesses. Our practice includes drafting and negotiating licensing agreements for our clients—all with the goal of obtaining top revenues and maximum protection for them.
- Litigation - When litigation is necessary, clients rely on our attorneys to provide the best possible representation. Our attorneys are widely respected for their legal skills, technical expertise, and trial capabilities and for their experience in successfully litigating a major number of intellectual property cases before administrative agencies, state courts, and federal courts.
When it comes to your intellectual property needs, we will be watching your back to make sure you are properly protected. Smart. Focused. Effective. These are the standards to which we hold our practice. Every day.
- Manage a multi-brand trademark portfolio for a New York Stock Exchange-traded health care company with over $2 billion in annual revenues.
- Secured a $750,000 jury verdict in a misappropriation of trade secret case.
- Negotiated software licensing agreements between an early-stage developer and a multi-national media conglomerate.