Trucks are the most dangerous vehicle on the road. Not only does their immense size and weight make it difficult to drive, but the drivers themselves have a taxing job that requires many hours on the road. When truck drivers act negligently and do not follow the rules of the road, they can cause serious accidents that result in much more severe consequences than a regular car accident. If you were injured in a truck accident, it is important to contact an experienced Pennsylvania personal injury attorney to assist your case.
Common Types of Truck Accidents
Truck accidents can occur in more ways than one. This may be a collision between two trucks or one truck and a passenger vehicle. The most common types of truck accidents are as follows:
- Head-on collisions: This is usually when a truck passes through an intersection, leading to a crash with another vehicle.
- Jackknife accidents: These accidents tend to happen when the trailer of a truck swings independently of the cab, causing both sections to move in opposite directions.
- Rollover crashes: This happens when a truck turns a corner too fast, causing it to tip over.
- Rear-end accidents: If a driver does not use brakes correctly or fast enough, a truck can collide into the back of another vehicle.
- Truck driver DUI accidents: The law prohibits anyone from driving a vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Truckers can cause very dangerous accidents by driving under the influence.
Causes of Accidents
There are various different causes of truck accidents. This can include the following:
- Violating safety regulations of the road
- Reckless driving
- Poor visibility on the road
- Drowsy driving or driving longer than the allotted time by federal law
- Mechanical issues with the truck
Recovering Financial Compensation
People who are involved in a truck accident often want to pursue legal action to recover compensation. This can be done by filing a personal injury claim. It is important to know that, during this time, the injured party must prove negligence. This can be done with evidence such as a police report from the accident, pictures or video of the accident, any witnesses testimonies, and more. In the event that they are successful, the injured party may be able to recover compensation as coverage for the damages caused by the accident.
Contact our Firm
Friedman Schuman is an experienced and dedicated legal resource for clients throughout Pennsylvania. We proudly serve clients facing a wide range of legal matters. If you require the services of an effective attorney, please contact Friedman Schuman today to schedule a consultation.