Pennsylvania’s Dram Shop Law | What to Know

When an individual chooses to drive while intoxicated, serious accidents can occur. If an establishment overserves alcohol to a patron, the establishment can be held partially responsible in an accident occurs. This is known as a dram shop law. Read on to learn more about Pennsylvania’s dram shop law and what to do in the event that an accident occurs.

What is Pennsylvania’s Dram Shop Law?

Most states have a dram shop law in place. Pennsylvania’s dram shop law states that any establishment that serves alcohol to an individual who was visibly intoxicated may be sued if that person then went on to harm someone else or cause an accident due to his or her drunkenness.

What do I do if I am Injured in a Car Accident?

If you are injured in a car accident due to a drunk driver, there are some important steps you should take. The first thing you should do is call 911. The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and make sure the drunk driver is off the road. If possible, you should take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident. Be sure to document the damage done to all vehicles involved. If anyone saw your accident occur, you should ask them for their contact information, as they may be able to corroborate your version of events. Additionally, it is incredibly important that you visit the hospital immediately after an accident occurs. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional, while also providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving the hospital, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.

How Long do I Have to File a Claim?

If you wish to take legal action, you must do so within a certain amount of time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In Pennsylvania, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally two years. Failing to file within two years from the date of the accident will likely mean losing your opportunity to recover compensation.

If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident in Pennsylvania, you will need a dedicated attorney on your side. Contact our firm today.


Friedman Schuman is an experienced and dedicated legal resource for clients throughout Pennsylvania. We proudly serve clients facing a wide range of legal matters. If you require the services of an effective attorney, please contact Friedman Schuman today to schedule a consultation.

News & Resources
How can I care for a pet after I pass?

If you're looking to care for a pet after you pass, you may not know your options. Luckily, this blog and our…

Read more
What kinds of outside experts can assist a personal injury case?

When filing a personal injury lawsuit, you may want to enlist the assistance of outside experts. This blog explores what you must…

Read more
Friedman Schuman - Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, Real Estate, Corporate & Business Law, Financial Services, Wills, Trusts & Estates
Contact Friedman Schuman!
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.