As the weather gets warmer, more and more people will be spending as much time outside as possible. This means lots of people will be getting their bikes out of the garage and going for rides. But, when bicyclists share the road with drivers, accidents are bound to occur. These accidents can be extremely serious. If you are injured in an accident due to a negligent driver, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Read on to learn more about bicycle accidents in Pennsylvania.m
What to Do After A Bike Accident?
After a bicycle accident, there are some important steps to take. If possible, make sure to:
- Call 911. The police can call an ambulance, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Move the bicycle off the road to prevent further accidents.
- Do not apologize, accept blame, or negotiate with the other driver involved.
- Obtain witness contacts. If anyone saw the accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Document the scene. It is important to take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. Make sure to document your injuries, and any damage done to your bike, the car, and any property involved.
- Seek medical attention. Immediately after an accident, visit the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility. You should see a doctor, even if you do not feel like you have been seriously injured. It is possible to have sustained an injury without realizing it. Additionally, this will provide you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Contact an experienced attorney. A skilled personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further evidence, including police reports and security camera footage.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
If you wish to pursue legal action, you will have a certain amount of time to do so. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In Pennsylvania, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally two years. This means that if you fail to file within two years from the date of the accident, you will likely lose your opportunity to recover the compensation you deserve. To avoid missing any important deadlines, reach out to an experienced attorney.
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident in Pennsylvania, contact our firm today to speak with a skilled personal injury attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED PENNSYLVANIA FIRM
Friedman Schuman is an experienced and dedicated legal resource for clients throughout Pennsylvania. We proudly serve clients facing a wide range of legal matters. If you require the services of an effective attorney, please contact Friedman Schuman today to schedule a consultation.