You likely find yourself in a car every day, whether you are driving or catching a ride. Unfortunately, car accidents are more common than you may realize. As a result, it is important to know how these accidents occur and what to do in the event of an injury. Read on to learn more about car accidents in Pennsylvania.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
It may come as a surprise, but texting while driving is the most common cause of car accidents in the United States. While some accidents are due to poor road conditions or inclement weather, the majority of accidents are due to negligence. Some of the most common forms of negligence include:
- Using other electronic devices while driving
- Disregarding traffic signs/signals
- Excessive speeding/reckless driving
- Driving distracted
- Driving tired
- Drunk/drugged driving
Types of Accidents
There are many different types of car accidents. The most common accidents include:
- Rear-end accidents
- Side-impact collisions
- Multi-car pile-ups
- Taxi accidents
- Head-on collisions
- Rollover accidents
How to Recover Compensation
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you should take the following steps:
- Call 911: The police can send an ambulance, ensure the scene is safe, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Seek medical attention: Some people attempt to recover at home, without the help of a doctor. This can be dangerous, as it is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. Additionally, going to the hospital can provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Ask for the other party’s insurance info: Before leaving the scene, calmly ask the other party for their insurance information.
- Document the scene: While waiting for the ambulance, take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident. Document your injuries as well as any damage to all vehicles and property involved.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw your accident occur, ask for their contact information- they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Contact an attorney: An experienced personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further proof of negligence, including security camera footage.
If you have been injured in a Pennsylvania car accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Reach out to our firm to discuss your case with a skilled and dedicated attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED PENNSYLVANIA FIRM
Friedman Schuman is an experienced and dedicated legal resource for clients throughout Pennsylvania. We proudly serve clients facing a wide range of legal matters. If you require the services of an effective attorney, please contact Friedman Schuman today to schedule a consultation.