Can I Sue on Behalf of My Child for an Injury in Pennsylvania?

Every parent’s primary concern is keeping their child safe. Unfortunately, this is not always possible, especially when their child is injured due to the carelessness of another party. If this has happened to your child, our firm is here to help. Please continue reading and speak with our Pennsylvania personal injury attorneys to learn more about how we can help you sue on behalf of your child. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What should I do if my child is hurt in an accident?

If your child is hurt in an accident, you should take several steps to ensure that you document the incident so you and your attorney can satisfy the burden of proof at a later date. Those steps are as follows:

  1. Call the police. They will send an ambulance as well.
  2. If your child was injured on someone else’s property, notify the property owner/store owner of the accident. If your child was injured in an auto accident, ask the driver for his or her insurance information.
  3. Ask any witnesses for their name, phone number, and email address.
  4. Take pictures of the scene of the accident.
  5. Ensure your child receives immediate medical treatment and that you receive all medical documentation/bills concerning the injury.
  6. Retain the services of an experienced Pennsylvania personal injury attorney.

How can I sue on behalf of my child after an injury in Pennsylvania?

Yes, you can. The first thing you should understand is that lawsuits on behalf of children are twofold. The first part of these claims is economic damages. Economic damages encompass tangible, financial damages, such as the cost of medical treatment, therapy, in-home care, and any other financial burdens incurred as a result of the accident. The second part of these lawsuits is non-economic damages. Essentially, these damages deal with monetarily intangible, though very real damages incurred due to the accident, such as disfigurement, loss of enjoyment of life, pain and suffering, and more.

How long will I have to sue on behalf of my child after an injury in Pennsylvania?

If you are looking to sue on behalf of your child in Pennsylvania, you must do so within the state’s statute of limitations. Since the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Pennsylvania is, generally, two years, you will, in most cases, have two years from the date of the incident to sue. Waiting any longer than two years will most likely result in you being barred from suing. Our firm can help you today–all you have to do is ask.


Friedman Schuman is an experienced and dedicated legal resource for clients throughout Pennsylvania. We proudly serve clients facing a wide range of legal matters. If you require the services of an effective attorney, please contact Friedman Schuman today to schedule a consultation.

News & Resources
What are the most common car accident injuries?

Understanding the most common car accident injuries is vital. This blog explores what you should know if you suffered injuries.

Read more
How many witnesses are required for a valid will execution in Pennsylvania?

Unfortunately, many are unsure of how many witnesses they need to sign their will. If you're preparing to begin this process, read…

Read more
Friedman Schuman - Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, Real Estate, Corporate & Business Law, Financial Services, Wills, Trusts & Estates
Contact Friedman Schuman!