The Fourth of July is one of the most popular boating days of the year. If you are someone who plans on taking your boat out on the water, either solo or with friends, there are several things you should do to ensure your boat is safe for all. Please continue reading to learn more about boat safety and how our firm can help you if you are ever injured in a boat accident. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What precautions should I take to ensure my boat is safe?
With summer officially upon us and the Fourth of July right around the corner, you are most likely very eager to set out on the water. However, you should first run through the following checklist to ensure your boat is safe for all:
- Check to make sure that the vessel is not taking on any water.
- Ensure through-hull connections are not leaking.
- The boat’s propeller must have no blade pitting or irregularities.
- Before setting out, ensure your anchor is attached to the boat and has sufficient length of ground tackle.
- Never leave without ensuring you have working flares on-board.
- Always check to make sure you have enough life jackets on-board for each person.
- Ensure you have an updated registration decal.
- Do not leave if you notice any significant scrapes on the boat’s hull.
- Before you set out, ensure you have the following on-board: an operating manual for the radio and engine, your vessel registration, a Certificate of Number, the owner contact information, an accident report form, and your marine towing membership card.
What should I do if I am injured in a boat accident in Pennsylvania?
If you are injured in a Pennsylvania boat accident, either due to another negligent boat owner or as a passenger on someone’s boat, there is a very good chance that you will qualify for financial compensation. If you are injured, you should first call the police, take pictures of the scene of the accident, and ask anyone who witnessed the accident for their contact information. From here, once you are transported to and treated at a hospital, ensure you retain the services of a knowledgeable Montgomery County personal injury attorney who can obtain all additional evidence needed to satisfy the burden of proof. Our firm has helped countless individuals fight for the compensation they need, and we are ready to do the same for you.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED PENNSYLVANIA FIRM
Friedman Schuman is an experienced and dedicated legal resource for clients throughout Pennsylvania. We proudly serve clients facing a wide range of legal matters. If you require the services of an effective attorney, please contact Friedman Schuman today to schedule a consultation.