If you are someone who rides a motorcycle in Pennsylvania, you are most likely now taking advantage of the last of the pleasant weather for the year. This can be great fun, however, only if you put safety first. For this very reason, our experienced team of Pennsylvania personal injury attorneys has compiled a list of various practical motorcycle safety tips for you to follow. Please continue reading to learn more.
- The most important thing that any motorcyclist can do to protect him or herself from the elements is to wear a helmet. Additionally, if you are a motorcyclist, you should also ensure that you wear protective eyewear to shield your eyes from bugs, wind, and more. Finally, you should wear a heavy jacket, knee pads, and other forms of protection to cushion your fall, should you ever get into an accident.
- Always inspect your bike before heading out, as a simple check can save you from being involved in an accident. If you are driving and you suspect something is wrong with your bike, simply pull over and call for help. Do not try and make it to a mechanic on your own, as the problem may only worsen and cause an accident.
- Always follow all rules and regulations of the road. This includes never speeding, as this is the number one cause of motorcycle accident fatalities in the U.S. Also, you must never drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and never tail other motorists. If they stop short, you can be seriously injured. Always stay at least three car lengths back from the driver in front of you. Keep in mind that following the rules of the road does not mean that all other motorists will do the same, however, as long as you are doing so at the time of the accident, you will be able to hold the negligent driver accountable.
- Keep aware of your surroundings. This means scanning the road for other motorists, paying attention to who is merging or changing lanes, and more.
- Ensure all other motorists are aware of your actions. This means using blinkers or hand signals appropriately, wearing bright colors if you are biking at night, and ensuring that your motorcycle is equipped with reflective devices. The phrase “see and be seen” absolutely applies to motorcycle riding.
If you are ever injured in an accident due to no fault of your own, give our firm a call. We are always here to help.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED PENNSYLVANIA FIRM
Friedman Schuman is an experienced and dedicated legal resource for clients throughout Pennsylvania. We proudly serve clients facing a wide range of legal matters. If you require the services of an effective attorney, please contact Friedman Schuman today to schedule a consultation.