What Should I do if I am Injured as a Passenger in a Car Accident?

Car accidents are jarring and often devastating. Unfortunately, as a passenger, there is little you can do to prevent an accident from occurring. However, if you were injured as a passenger, there is a very good chance that the driver is a relative or friend, which brings about the question, “will I have to sue my friend for compensation?” Please continue reading and speak with our Pennsylvania personal injury attorneys to learn more about whether you will have to sue the driver if you were injured in a car accident as a passenger.

Will I have to sue the driver if I am injured as a passenger?

As an injured passenger, the last thing you want is to sue your friend or relative. However, you’re still injured, which means that you will most likely require financial compensation to help cover the cost of your medical bills, lost wages from being unable to return to work, and more. Fortunately, when you file a personal injury claim, you are not suing your friend or relative directly; instead, you are only suing their insurance company.

What should I do after being involved in a car accident?

If you are injured in a car accident, you should do everything in your power to document the incident to increase your chances of winning a personal injury claim in the future. Try to take the following steps:

  1. Call the police. They will send an ambulance and file a police report.
  2. Ask anyone who witnessed your accident for their contact information.
  3. Take pictures of the scene of the accident, as well as of your injuries.
  4. Ask the driver for his or her insurance information.
  5. Seek immediate medical attention.
  6. Ask your doctor for all medical documentation regarding your injuries.
  7. Hire a Pennsylvania personal injury attorney who can work to satisfy the burden of proof in a personal injury claim.

How long will I have to sue someone for an injury sustained in a car accident?

If you are injured in a car accident, it is critical that you take legal action within the statute of limitations. Pennsylvania has a statute of limitations of two years, which means that you cannot wait any longer than two years from the date of your accident to sue the liable party. Do not simply wait and see if your injuries heal on their own, for if you wait too long, you will be permanently barred from suing. We can help you today. All you have to do is ask.


Friedman Schuman is an experienced and dedicated legal resource for clients throughout Pennsylvania. We proudly serve clients facing a wide range of legal matters. If you require the services of an effective attorney, please contact Friedman Schuman today to schedule a consultation.

News & Resources
What should I know if I slip and fall on a wet floor in Pennsylvania?

This blog covers what you must know if you were hurt in a slip and fall on a wet floor. Learn about…

Read more
The Legal Way Episode 12 | Adapting Your Legacy: Estate Planning While Navigating Life Changes

In this episode, we are joined by Friedman Schuman estate planning attorney, Alex Gusikoff, delve into a crucial aspect of estate planning –…

Read more
Friedman Schuman - Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, Real Estate, Corporate & Business Law, Financial Services, Wills, Trusts & Estates
Contact Friedman Schuman!