Robert A. Alston, Esq.
Robert A. Alston is a Principal of the firm, having joined the “Corporate and Business Law” and “Wills, Trusts and Estates” departments at Friedman Schuman in January, 2017. Due to his years of experience Bob offers his clients a wealth of knowledge and formidable skills. He concentrates his practice on the general business representation of clients from counseling through litigation; estate and succession planning for business owners and senior business executives, as well as similar services for individual clients.
Bob serves as an American Arbitration arbitrator, privately judging business and employment cases for the American Arbitration Association. He is one of six Fellows in Pennsylvania of the 235 Fellows nationally in the College of Commercial Arbitrators; an organization of the country’s most experienced Neutrals. Membership in the College of Commercial Arbitrators as a Fellow is by invitation by the existing Fellows. He also serves as a Judge Pro Tem in both Philadelphia’s Commerce Court and for its Major Jury Mediation program. He has served as in-house counsel for a Fortune 500 company for one of its Marketing divisions and as counsel on Mergers and Acquisition teams. Bob created an in-house trial counsel staff for a Fortune 500 technology client, trying cases for them in the areas of technology, corporate, real estate, merger and acquisitions and product performance law in both federal courts and in American Arbitration Association forums throughout the country.
Bob has taught Business and Estate Planning courses in area Colleges and Community Schools and speaks to lawyer groups regularly on litigating in an American Arbitration Association forum.
Bob was a cum laude graduate of the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. He was also a member the Order of the Coif, an honorary national legal fraternity whose membership is limited to the top ten percent of law school classes. Bob was also Topics and Research Editor of Pitt’s Law Review. He has his LL.M.-Taxation from Temple Law School.
Areas of Practice
- Corporate and Business Law
- Estate and Trust Administration
- Wills, Trusts and Estate Planning
- Litigation, including Orphan’s Court
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- J.D. cum laude – 1974
- Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- LL.M. – 1980
- Major: Taxation
- Villanova University, Honors Program
- B.A. – 1970
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Arbitration and ADR Committee
- Montgomery Bar Association, Alternate Dispute Resolution Former Chair
- Chester County Bar, ADR Committee