How do I file a wrongful death claim?

The death of a family member is always a devastating time. Unfortunately, sometimes we lose loved ones for reasons that could have been completely avoided. If a loved one passes away because of the negligence of a doctor or another medical professional, the surviving family members may wonder whether they have legal options that can help them hold the party at fault accountable for their tragic loss.

The state of Pennsylvania defines wrongful death as the “death of an individual caused by the wrongful act or neglect or unlawful violence or negligence of another.” When a medical professional makes a mistake, it can be fatal. Some of the ways that wrongful death can occur in a medical situation can include a doctor neglecting to diagnose a patient, errors that took place during surgery, incorrect medications, faulty medical devices, and more.

When it comes time for the family to consider their legal options, it is important to know a few things about wrongful death claims. First, Pennsylvania requires a personal representative for the deceased person’s estate to file a wrongful death lawsuit within 6 months of the date of passing. It is important to note that if a wrongful death claim isn’t filed within that period of time, any of the deceased person’s beneficiaries can file within 2 years of the date of death.

If you have questions about wrongful death claims, contact our firm.

If you need the services of an experienced Montgomery County attorney who focuses on personal injury or medical negligence, please contact Friedman Schuman today to schedule a consultation today.

News & Resources
How do irrevocable trusts work in Pennsylvania?

Though you may have heard of irrevocable trusts, do you know what these do? If not, this blog explores why you should…

Read more
How does alcohol increase the risk of PA a motorcycle accident?

Drinking alcohol increases the risk of a motorcycle accident. This blog explores what you should do if you were hurt by a…

Read more
Friedman Schuman - Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, Real Estate, Corporate & Business Law, Financial Services, Wills, Trusts & Estates
Contact Friedman Schuman!