When a loved one passes away, it can be incredibly difficult to bear down and take care of business. Unfortunately, in many cases, that is exactly what you have to do. We recognize how challenging this can be, which is why we are dedicated to providing our clients with the compassionate, knowledgeable legal assistance they need.
Estate law is complex, and though many people try and navigate through the legal process alone, we cannot recommend you do the same. Our firm is on your side. We will not prolong your case. In fact, our firm will work to resolve your family’s estate matters as quickly as possible so you can focus solely on what matters most: healing. Please read on and reach out to our experienced Pennsylvania estate planning attorneys to learn more about the estate administration process and how we can help you through.
- The first thing you should do after the death of a loved one is to inform your friends and family of the death, and then promptly speak with a funeral director to schedule the ceremony.
- After the funeral, you must compile various important legal documents, such as wills, trusts, insurance policies, and more. At this time, you should also reach out to an experienced attorney who can help you plan the next steps going forward.
- After speaking with an attorney, you should speak with your loved one’s insurance company and employer to notify them of the recent death and ask about benefits. You must also tell your loved one’s creditors of the death so you can cancel all the cards and any other subscriptions or memberships the deceased may have had.
- As the administrator of the estate, it is your job to pay all necessary debts and taxes on behalf of your loved one. Our firm is more than happy to assist you through the process.
- From here, you will finally close out the estate either through a Family Settlement Agreement or through the local Orphans’ Court. This includes distributing assets to beneficiaries. Oftentimes, this is a document-heavy process, so it is crucial you retain the services of a knowledgeable estate administration attorney.
Ultimately, though the process is frequently complicated in nature, our attorneys have been helping individuals with their estate planning and administration needs across the state of Pennsylvania for years, and we are ready to do the same for you. All you have to do is ask.
Contact our experienced Pennsylvania firm
Friedman Schuman is an experienced and dedicated legal resource for clients throughout Pennsylvania. We proudly serve clients facing a wide range of legal matters. If you require the services of an effective attorney, please contact Friedman Schuman today to schedule a consultation.