Many people are taking advantage of the warm weather and going boating. While this can be a fun summer activity, it can also be dangerous. Read on to learn more about boat accidents in Pennsylvania.
What Precautions Can Help Ensure that my Boat is Safe?
In order to ensure that your boat is safe for yourself and any passengers, it is important to take the following steps:
- Check to make sure that the vessel is not taking on any water.
- Ensure through-hull connections are not leaking.
- The boat’s propeller must have no blade pitting or irregularities.
- Before setting out, ensure your anchor is attached to the boat and has a sufficient length of ground tackle.
- Never leave without ensuring you have working flares on board.
- Always check to make sure you have enough life jackets on board for each person.
- Ensure you have an updated registration decal.
- Do not leave if you notice any significant scrapes on the boat’s hull.
- Before you set out, ensure you have the following on-board: an operating manual for the radio and engine, your vessel registration, a Certificate of Number, the owner contact information, an accident report form, and your marine towing membership card.
What is Boating Negligence?
The majority of boating accidents are due to negligence. Some of the most common ways a boat owner may be negligent can include the following:
- If he or she is not an experienced boater
- If he or she collides with another object because of inattentiveness, drowsiness, etc.
- If he or she does not provide proper safety equipment on board and someone becomes injured as a result
- If he or she operates the boat under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- If he or she causes an injury due to speeding
Filing a Claim
If you are injured due to the negligence of a boat owner, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But, in order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to file your claim on time. In Pennsylvania, the statute of limitations is generally two years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within two years will likely mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you need and deserve. Reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney to discuss your case today.
If you have been injured in a boat accident, our firm will fight for you. Contact us to speak with a skilled personal injury attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED PENNSYLVANIA FIRM
Friedman Schuman is an experienced and dedicated legal resource for clients throughout Pennsylvania. We proudly serve clients facing a wide range of legal matters. If you require the services of an effective attorney, please contact Friedman Schuman today to schedule a consultation.