Can I sue a Pennsylvania city for an unsafe sidewalk?

cracks in sidewalk

Whether you’re out for a jog or walking your dog, the last thing you expect is an unsafe sidewalk to leave you with injuries requiring medical attention. However, these accidents do occur. It can be challenging to pursue liability, especially when the sidewalk that caused your injury is on municipal property. As such, it’s critical to enlist the assistance of sidewalk injury attorneys to help you navigate these complex legal issues. The following blog explores what you must know about these accidents and what to do if the city is responsible for your injuries.

What constitutes an unsafe sidewalk?

Because sidewalks are detrimental to keeping pedestrians safe from passing vehicles, it’s essential to understand what makes these fixtures dangerous. Like most things, sidewalks can become worn and damaged with age or can be faulty due to improper installation.

One thing that can render sidewalks unsafe is cracks and holes. Unfortunately, these can be uneven, leaving pedestrians susceptible to falling and tripping, sustaining severe injuries.

Other conditions that can render a sidewalk unsafe include leaving snow or ice on the sidewalk for prolonged periods, failing to remedy issues with the sidewalk caused by tree roots, and sunken sections of the walkway.

Unfortunately, injuries caused by unkept sidewalks include broken bones, back injuries, neck and spinal cord damage, traumatic brain injuries, sprains, contusions, and lacerations.

If I’m injured, how can I hold the city responsible?

If the damaged sidewalk that left you with injuries is on municipal property, understanding the steps you can take to hold the government liable is essential.

Filing a lawsuit against a city or municipality requires different steps than filing against a private citizen. If you wish to sue the government for injuries sustained on their property, you must first inform the entity that you are pursuing legal action within six months of the injury. You must include your contact information, where and when the injury occurred, and the damages you wish to pursue.

Though you generally have six months to file a notice with the government that you intend to sue, you should begin the process as soon as possible following your injury. Unfortunately, you may find that the longer you wait, the harder it is to pursue justice for the damages you’ve endured. As such, it’s essential to enlist the assistance of an experienced attorney to help you navigate these complex issues.

At Friedman Schuman, we understand how difficult it can be to receive compensation for the injuries you’ve endured, especially when pursuing justice from a government entity. Luckily, our firm is ready to fight for you. We believe you should recover the compensation you are entitled to. Contact us today to learn how our dedicated attorneys will work to help you receive the justice you deserve.

News & Resources
How can I amend my will in Pennsylvania?

If you're looking to update and amend your will, understanding the steps involved in this process is critical. This blog explores more.

Read more
What is the statute of limitations for a slip and fall claim in Pennsylvania?

Are you interested in filing a slip and fall claim? If so, do you know how much time you have? This blog…

Read more
Friedman Schuman - Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, Real Estate, Corporate & Business Law, Financial Services, Wills, Trusts & Estates
Contact Friedman Schuman!