Can I sue if I refuse medical attention after an accident in pennsylvania?

emt opening ambulance doors

When you are injured in an accident, understanding how to proceed is vital. Whether you are stuck by a vehicle running a red light or you slip and fall in a department store, the first thing you should do is call the police to report the accident. Not only does this allow you to file documentation of the incident but emergency medical technicians will arrive on the scene to provide treatment. However, if you refuse emergency medical attention after an accident, it can impact the outcome if you choose to file a claim against the negligent party. Keep reading to learn more and discover how personal injury attorneys can assist you through these challenging times.

Why might someone refuse medical attention?

When involved in an accident, there are a number of reasons someone may refuse medical care. Unfortunately, many victims of accidents are worried about being able to afford medical care after an accident, leading them to put off receiving care.

Also, many feel as though the injuries they have aren’t severe enough to warrant care. For example, they may feel like they only have minor bumps and bruises. However, many conditions, like concussions, may not be immediately present.

Can I still pursue legal action if I deny care?

If you deny medical attention after your injuries, you may worry that you cannot pursue legal action. It is important to note that you will not be barred from filing a claim against the negligent party, even if you did not go to the hospital or have EMTs evaluate you at the scene.

However, it can affect your ability to recover compensation. The defense may argue that your claim is unfounded, as the injuries you sustained were not severe, considering you did not seek medical attention after the accident.

Similarly, Pennsylvania is a comparative negligence state. As such, you are limited to recovering compensation based on your percentage of fault in the accident. If you are over 51% liable, you cannot recover compensation. However, if you did not take steps to mitigate damages, it may render you negligent, thus the compensation you recover could be lowered.

How can an attorney help?

If you’re in an accident, seeking medical attention is one of the most important things you can do to protect yourself. However, if it’s been a few days or weeks since the accident, you should immediately go to a doctor. This will help you establish medical care.

Once you have seen a doctor, you’ll want to contact an experienced attorney. Though it might be challenging, they will do everything in their power to help you recover as much compensation as possible.

Though challenging, recovering compensation in these instances is possible. As such, the dedicated team at Friedman Schuman can help you through this process. Contact our dedicated team today to learn how we will fight for you during these complex legal matters.

News & Resources
How can I amend my will in Pennsylvania?

If you're looking to update and amend your will, understanding the steps involved in this process is critical. This blog explores more.

Read more
What is the statute of limitations for a slip and fall claim in Pennsylvania?

Are you interested in filing a slip and fall claim? If so, do you know how much time you have? This blog…

Read more
Friedman Schuman - Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, Real Estate, Corporate & Business Law, Financial Services, Wills, Trusts & Estates
Contact Friedman Schuman!