Bicycle accidents can result in severe injuries that can impact one’s life in many different ways. If you are facing the physical, emotional, and/or financial burdens of a bicycle accident, contact our experienced Pennsylvania personal injury attorneys today to discuss your case. We are dedicated to getting you the compensation you deserve.
What are the common causes of bicycle accidents in Pennsylvania?
One of the biggest causes of bicycle accidents in Pennsylvania is negligence. Bicyclists can be injured by drivers that are not following the rules of the road. Bicycle accidents are very severe and can cause injuries like traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord damage, broken bones, lacerations, paralysis, and more. Some of the negligent acts that can cause bicycle accidents include, and are not limited to:
- Distracted driving
- Drowsy driving
- Careless and reckless car maneuvers
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Failure to obey traffic signs and laws
If you were seriously injured in a bicycle accident as a result of another’s negligence, it is in your best interest to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney to discuss your options and to obtain the compensation you deserve.
What should I do after a bicycle accident?
If you were injured in a bicycle accident and would like to take legal action, it is important to obtain as much evidence as possible. If you are able, follow these steps after your accident:
- Call 911. The police will file an incident report and dispatch an ambulance to the scene of the accident.
- Move the bicycle off of the road to prevent further accidents and injuries.
- Try to avoid contact with the driver involved. Do not apologize, accept blame, or negotiate.
- Gather contact information from any witnesses to the accident. If anyone saw the incident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of the events.
- Take photos and videos of the scene of the accident. Document your injuries, the damage to the bike, the car, and any other property involved.
- Seek medical attention to ensure your injuries are properly treated. Ask your doctor to provide you with medical documentation showing the origin and severity of your injuries.
- Contact an experienced attorney to help you obtain further evidence including security camera footage and police reports.
How long do I have to file a claim for bicycle accidents?
If you would like to pursue legal action after a bicycle accident, you will have two years from the date of your accident to file your claim. In Pennsylvania, the statute of limitations is two years, so if you fail to file within two years from the date of the accident, you will likely lose the opportunity to recover the compensation you deserve. Personal injury claims can be pressing. Contact Friedman Schuman today to avoid missing any important deadlines regarding your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED PENNSYLVANIA FIRM
Friedman Schuman is an experienced and dedicated legal resource for clients throughout Pennsylvania. We proudly serve clients facing a wide range of legal matters. If you require the services of an effective attorney, please contact Friedman Schuman today to schedule a consultation.