What is a soft tissue injury?

soft tissue injury after accident

When you are involved in an accident that leaves you with an injury, you may think only the most serve diagnoses are worth pursuing legally. However, you don’t need a traumatic brain injury or broken bones to receive financial compensation. Unfortunately, many are unfamiliar with the severity of a soft tissue injury, and failure to heal properly can lead to issues later in life. If you sustain any injury that results in medical bills, time off from work, or pain and suffering, you’ll want to contact personal injury attorneys from Friedman Schuman to help. Keep reading to learn more about these injuries.

How does a soft tissue injury happen?

Soft tissue injury occurs when there is damage to the muscle, ligament, or tendons. These injuries can cause pain, swelling, bruising, stiffness, and redness. Though they don’t seem as severe as other injuries, they can be painful and cause significant disruptions to your day-to-day life.

These injuries occur most commonly during sports and physical activity, but this is not the only way these can happen. Generally, any time your muscles, ligaments, or tendons endure a sudden trauma, you can sustain a soft tissue injury. For example, if you slip and fall on a wet spot in a supermarket, you may endure a soft tissue injury as a result. These are known as acute injuries, as they happen in an instant.

What types of injuries can occur?

There are a number of injuries you may sustain due to the array of soft tissue that is throughout your body. Some of the most common injuries include:

  • Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) injuries
  • Bursitis
  • Lipoma
  • Sprains
  • Tendenisits
  • Contusions
  • Myalgia
  • Concussions

While a sprain may not seem as severe as other injuries, there are different “grades” or seriousness of the injury. Grade 1 injuries are the mildest and typically only occur as a result of overstretching the muscles or ligaments. Though they can be painful, they tend to heal quickly. However, Grades 2 and 3 can be intense, as they involve partial and complete tears, respectively, of the tissue. These injuries have a long recovery time due to the severity, require physical therapy, and in Grade 3 injuries, may require surgery.

What should I do if I sustain an injury due to another party’s negligence?

If injured in a premises liability accident or car crash, you’ll want to take the necessary steps to help ensure you receive compensation for the injuries you’ve sustained. It’s imperative to seek medical attention as quickly as possible after an injury. You should request emergency treatment at the scene of the injury. However, if you insist on waiting, you should visit your primary care physician as quickly as possible. You should also take as many photos of the scene as possible, as these can help provide the necessary evidence during a lawsuit.

When you’ve sustained an injury, Friedman Schuman is here to help. Our legal team will explore every possible avenue to help you receive the compensation you deserve. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you.

News & Resources
What does the executor of a will do in Pennsylvania?

When naming the executor of a will, understanding the obligations they must fulfill is critical. This blog explores the duties of this…

Read more
What are the most common spring driving hazards in Pennsylvania?

With the changing of the season, understanding what spring driving hazards you can encounter is critical, so you'll want to keep reading.

Read more
Friedman Schuman - Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, Real Estate, Corporate & Business Law, Financial Services, Wills, Trusts & Estates
Contact Friedman Schuman!